Friday, October 14, 2011

ONE MAN'S TREASURE

   That last post got a bit heavy but it was indeed how I feel about the subject.  On a lighter note I am in the middle of cleaning out my office, the utility storage room, and the grand children's playroom in preparation for painting and carpeting the playroom and my office. Over the years we have acquired a great deal of "material" which we have carefully stored in the nooks and crannies of these three rooms, most of it to be used at an undetermined 'sometime' in the future.  What is interesting is that as we looked at the material we discovered items which hadn't seen the light of day in three decades. Still deciding to discard it or send it to the local charity store became a gut wrenching process where it became perfectly clear that my treasures were junk and my wife's stored items were priceless heirlooms
   "But we can't throw those away I may need them," she says.
   "You haven't used them but three times in the passed thirty years and those three times were twenty-eight years ago," I say.
   "But some of them belonged to your mother and you never know when they will be needed."
   "I do too," I say. "They will never be needed."
   "If we throw them out I know I'll need them the day after we do," she insists.
   "So we are not getting rid of those glass snack trays with matching cups?" I ask.
   "Certainly not (smile from my wife) but we surely need to toss the air mattress inflation pump."
   "But I may need it to inflate and air mattress when we go camping," I explain.
   "We never go camping and we don't own an air mattress," she points out.
   "What has that got to do with it?  I may need it sometime and then I won't have it." I whine.
   Another treasure finds its way into the charity donation sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment