Friday, May 18, 2012

MAKE WAY FOR DUCKLINGS

My last entry had Make Way For Ducklings by Robert McCloskey as one of my top ten favorite children's picture books. 

Early this week I went out to the front of my home to do a little extra watering on a patch of lawn my sprinkling system seems to ignore, I bent over and pulled on the hose which was wound up on a reel. The reel made about a half a revolution and a female duck came rushing out from under the apparatus and nearly scared the beejeebers out of me. 

Earlier in the week my wife had seen both a male and a female mallard duck out on our front lawn but we didn't think much about it. I looked to seewhy the duck would be under my hose reel and discovered eight eggs in a nest she had built. Sincethen she has settled back in and we are expecting ducklings in about 28 days.

Here is a picture of the duck just outside of her nest



No comments:

Post a Comment