Tuesday, August 20, 2013

GREEN THUMB- vs -BROWN THUMB

Gardening is a punishment. In fact, in my opinion, it is second only be being cast out of Paradise in its severity. You can't call what Adam and Eve did in Eden gardening. They had it easy---Pick fruits and vegetables to eat and enjoy the beauty of the
flowers that all grew spontaneously. Someone else had planted the Garden for them, and, 
there were no weeds

After they were asked to leave the actually had to work and sweat to make things grow.

I think the fruits, vegetables and flowers know I view them with suspicion and resentment. Why should I have to dig and till the ground, plant them, fertilize them, water them and remove the competing weeds. In the past I have done these things and the result has been less than rewarding.
There was the year I planted tomatoes and harvested not one edible fruit. There was the year I planted strawberries and my children dug up all the plants the next day. Then there were the peas vines with no peas, the carrots that were long, thin and bitter, the potatoes that were marbles, the corn that wouldn't grow, and the zucchini that would. Zucchini are part of the punishment.They grow like crazy and nobody wants them. Just try to give them away, and there is only so much zucchini bread you can eat.

Flower gardening is even worse. I cannot count the number of times I have dug up the strip of ground in front of our house and planted numerous varieties of flowers only to have them wither and die right before my eyes: Daises, Petunias, Columbine, Cacti, Lilies, Tulips, Daffodils, Pansies, etc. The only things I have managed to grow is flowering sage, Bishop's Weed, and morning glory. This year we did manage to grow a fine crop of chickweed along with marigolds that will grow anywhere. 

I love beautiful landscaped yards with flowers and perennial plants. I love to see a thriving vegetable garden and envy those who have the green thumb to make them grow and produce. I on the other hand am blessed with a brown thumb when it comes to gardening. I can't even grow indoor plants without killing them.  

My only hope is that in heaven all we will have to say is, "GROW!" and the plants will take care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment