Friday, December 2, 2011

THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR--PART 2

I fear I came across as a total Ebenezer Scrooge in my last post so I thought I would set the record straight and list some of the things I enjoy about the holiday season:

1. The excitement of children as they wait for the big day to arrive be it Halloween, Thanksgiving or Christmas.

2. Seeing the light in the eyes of my grandchildren as they show us the costumes they will be waring on Halloween.

3. Hearing that excitement when costume clad youngsters sing out at our front door, "Trick or Treat. Smell my feet.  Give me something good to eat."

4. Seeing the enjoyment of family and friends as they devour an exceptional meal that has been prepared with love and care by my wife. (Especially the home made rolls and pies)


5. Left over turkey, dressing, and cranberry sauce squished between two halves of a roll.


6. The feeling of satisfaction I have when the last section of Christmas tree lights finally flickers on after hours of replacing burned out bulbs.


7. Judiciously chosen popular and religious Christmas music.

8. Watching my grandchildren see the tree for the first time each year.

9. Seeing their glowing faces as they circle the decorated Christmas tree trying to find where the ornament with their name on it has been placed this year.

10. The innocence on the faces of the toddlers as they bring into the family room an ornament they have taken from the tree, explaining they, "Only wanted to touch it."

11.Quiet moments when I'm alone in the front room when the lights are out, except for those on the tree, and the magical feeling of peace it brings just to look at the sparkling decorations.

12. Watching the Christmas Story Pageant my grandchildren put on for us as the scriptures are read and they act out the parts of Joseph and Mary, Shepherds, Angels and Wise Men.
 
13. The joy on the faces of children and adults as they open Christmas gifts.

14. Contemplating the true meaning of Christmas and realizing that it is good for the world to remember the Savior's birth even if it is celebrated at the wrong time of year.  

15. The hope the season brings:  
  • that winter will not last forever.
  • that there is always a chance mankind will live up to the spirit of the season.
  • that there is a possibility for peace on earth.
SEASONS GREETINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment