Wednesday, November 16, 2011

DEMOSTHENES ENGLISH?

   When I was teaching High School I would start each year with a list of "words" I would hear the students using as they spoke. Each year the list grew longer and longer until I had a whole side chalkboard filled with these non standard English "words." I often wondered how people who were trying yo learn the English language ever could when they studied how it was supposed to be spoken and then were confronted with the way the language comes out of our mouths. 

   I provide a few examples:

Jeetjur---as in, "Did you eat your lunch."
Farzino---as in "As far as I know." 
Cuz---as in, "Because."
Mere---as in, "Come here."
Iduhno--as in, "I don't know."
Mahn--as in, "Come on."
Gitcher--as in, "Get your."
Gunuh or Gonah--as in, "Going to."
Gottah--as in "Got to."
Wahderwe--as in "What are we."

The list could be almost infinite. 
I call it Demosthenes English because we all sound like we have pebbles in our mouths.



No comments:

Post a Comment